5.14.2012

Dijon Croque Monsieur

My husband had a serious craving for a Croque Monsieur, and in the interest of saving our arteries from sure doom, I decided to make a healthier version at home for dinner... Health being relative here. HealthiER, not healthy, ok? :-)  The mustard in this recipe adds a nice touch of flavor.

I used this great "whole grain & flax" bread from Trader Joe's that I'd never tried before. It is delicious!  So much flavor, comforting, and good for you too.


I always have a jar of this "Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce" (also from Trader Joes) on hand.  It elevates even the simplest sandwich and I'm never without a spare jar in the pantry.  Substitute this for the mustard/mayo mix called for in the recipe if you can get your hands on some.


Instead of sliced ham, I used prosciutto (just because).


When I got home, I realized the gruyere cheese I bought was actually a gruyere-cheddar blend.  Amazing.  With the addition of a slice of low-fat swiss cheese, this turned into a 3-cheese Croque. Monsieur.



Once your sandwich is assembled, coat in egg/milk mixture before grilling in a buttered pan for about 3 minutes on each side (you could skip the egg mixture and just butter the bread for a more classic grilled cheese approach):


Too tired to throw together a salad, I served alongside a sliced up apple which helped cut the heaviness of all the melted cheese... Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...