1.23.2012

Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake

I love orange flavored cake, and when I found this recipe I knew I had to make it - not only does it incorporate blood oranges, but it's an olive oil cake which I had never made before.  Lately my husband and I have been trying to include more vegan meals into our diet.  While not completely vegan (since the recipe includes eggs), it is a bit closer to that since there is no other dairy.

We were invited to a housewarming party, and I decided to prepare a gift package including this cake, the suggested honey blood orange topping and a can of whipped cream for serving.

To begin, you will incorporate the zest of two oranges with a cup of sugar:


Use your hands to mix together:


Next, Supreme 2 of the 3 oranges per the recipe:





Juice the 3rd orange (should result in about 1/4 cup) & add to the sugar/zest mixture:


After incorporating the juice, add the 3 eggs and 2/3 cup of olive oil to the sugar mixture:


Once the mixture is well blended, gently add the flour mixture to the wet batter:


Now stir in the prepared blood oranges:


Pour the batter into buttered 9x5" baking dish:


Bake in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 50-55min until golden:


While the cake was baking, I prepared the honey blood orange topping by preparing 3 blood oranges as done above for inclusion in the cake.  Place oranges in a bowl and top with a few teaspoons of honey, then allow to sit for 5 minutes before mixing together.


To gift this, I used a cleaned jar and tied parchment paper around the lid with twine:


I wrapped the cooled cake first in saran wrap, then parchment paper and a doily, all tied up with twine:


Ready to go!



p.s. - the cake was served at said party and was delicious! I will definitely be making this again...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...