3.07.2012

Savory Oatmeal

I have been wanting to try a savory oatmeal recipe for some time now.  After a long day of work and studying, it seemed like the perfect dinner to throw together in less than 10 minutes.  I found this recipe on Martha Stewart's website and it was amazingly delicious! Cheese really is good on anything and everything.  Including oatmeal.  This is comfort food without all the guilt.

This meal took no time at all - start boiling your oats and simmer for 5 minutes.  In the meantime, chop up your scallions and set out your cheese, heat the pan for the eggs and begin cooking them until the whites are firm and the yolks are still runny (about 3 minutes) - that is, if you're willing to run the risk of salmonella that comes with having soft-cooked eggs; some risks are just worth taking! (Until you get sick, I'm sure...)


Layer the cooked oatmeal in a bowl with cheese, an egg (seasoned with salt and pepper), then scallions.  This meal is incredibly filling and relatively healthy too.  I had planned on making this on a night where I was left to my own devices since I didn't think my husband would be excited to have oatmeal for dinner (and he wasn't exactly...), but I just couldn't wait any longer.  Fortunately, he loved it!  This will be one of those meals I turn to when I'm short on time.


You will seriously be amazed at how good this is.  It doesn't even taste like "oatmeal"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...