2.20.2012

Growing Up...

Today is my 29th birthday - I've never been one to want to make a big fuss over my birthday, etc.  What I do love about birthdays is, like New Years, the chance to set goals and redefine the direction and focus we want to have in life.  

I remember distinctly being 8 years old and just wanting to be 16 already.  Once I was there, it was 18, then 21, 25... I've always been in a rush to grow up (I think I am 80 yrs old inside in a lot of ways, so maybe I just want to catch up already!)  I've been anxious to enter my 30s, to finally be taken "seriously" (whatever that means).  Now that I'm nearing the very end of my 20s, I'm realizing it's time to slow down and enjoy every moment - I want to savor this last year of an amazing decade and set myself up for an even better new one to come.  Instead of wanting to be taken 'seriously' based on some arbitrary number/age, it's time to take my life and all its potential seriously; the rest will surely follow.

I began this blog as a way to hold me accountable to taking the time to do the things I love.  So far, it has been an incredibly rewarding and motivating force in my life.  Before this, I put those things on hold - there would be time once I finished school, or got my certification, etc.  There are always reasons to postpone pursuing your dreams.  I think doing so is what causes a sense of urgency to hurry forward in life.  I hope to continue to use this medium to grow and explore living life to its fullest NOW.  I believe the "good china" should be used often.  Life is too short to keep everything that is the most precious tucked away; these things, these parts of ourselves, should be celebrated and embraced every day, for as long as we are lucky enough to enjoy them.  I hope that going into this new year, I will remember and embody that sentiment, approaching the close of a chapter and the beginning of a new one.


You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment  ~Henry David Thoreau

Nothing is too wonderful to be true  ~Michael Faraday


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...