11.06.2011

Lavender fleur de sel Caramels

Ever since we returned from our vacation to Paris, I have been trying to re-create my favorite things from our visit.  One of the many delicious experiences we had was trying fresh caramels from Jacques Genin... The salty buttery sweetness (in a variety of flavors) was unparalleled by any caramel I had ever experienced...  


Since I had never made my own candy before, first things first, I bought a candy thermometer.  A word to the wise, many are not calibrated correctly (hence my first batch of caramels turned out rock hard) - so you may need to boil some water to see what your thermometer reads (it should register 212 degrees Fahrenheit- adjust your recipes accordingly).  I used this recipe from Epicurious with a few modifications: add  1 tsp of vanilla extract to the cream and butter and infuse it with about a tsp of dried lavender...

Voilá!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...