4.09.2012

Passover Stuffing

I had never had Matzo until I met my husband (who is Jewish).  During Passover, Matzo, a flat, unleavened cracker is eaten instead of bread.  Unleavened bread is eaten because believers say the Israelites left in such a hurry they couldn’t wait for the bread dough to rise.  I quickly fell in love with this cracker, so delicious when simply spread with butter and jam, not to mention the many other ways to prepare it.
 
This year we were invited to a Passover brunch and I was tasked with bringing a savory dish.  I decided to test some recipes during the week before deciding what to make for the  gathering.  My mother-in-law sent me some of her recipes, and I decided to try making her Matzo Farfel with Onions and Mushrooms. It's basically Passover "stuffing".

I could not find any Farfel at the store, so I used Matzo meal instead (I believe the difference has to do with the coarseness of the meal - Farfel is a coarser meal).  [Sadly, I came down with a cold the day before the event which knocked me out + I didn't want to spread the fun around. It did call for some Matzo Ball Soup though, more on that later this week].


You will need:
2 cups Matzo Farfel
2 cups water
1/2-3/4 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
4 large onions
2 eggs
salt
pepper

First, boil the water and add matzo farfel until soft - strain - matza must stay moist, not wet:


Fry the onions & mushrooms in oil (add some chicken fat if you have it).
Mix together the onion/mushroom mixture, farfel, eggs, salt & pepper in a deep bowl.
The recipe calls to place the mixture in a greased flat pan with about a 2" edge.  After making these, I was in a bit of a muffin/cupcake tin craze, so I decided to make little cups of this stuffing instead:


Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes (I baked them for 20 minutes since the cupcake tins are smaller). Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...